Overview: All groups of people affected by the change initiative are identified and described. Skills and ability may be assessed. The culture might be evaluated and documented.
Considerations: Prior training and experience of stakeholders should be considered. The stakeholder reaction to any change initiative determines the success of the project. Who will be concerned or interested?
- State to the Farmers and Scientists “This task identifies the specific communication needs and possible business concerns of the impacted groups related to the project.”
- Identify all persons affected by the change initiative.
- Make a list of stakeholders.
- Organize names in a spreadsheet or similar tool with contact information such as phone number, office location, and email address.
- Identify skills or other pertinent information related to each stakeholder group.
- Brainstorm why each stakeholder group should be interested in the change – and why there might be hesitancy among the group for becoming engaged with the change.
- Determine prior training and experience of stakeholders to the degree this is important to the change.
- Determine other obstacles related to each group that might get in the way of communicating with the group, or prevent collecting feedback from the group.